Chocolate Swiss Roll With Heart Filling
By request from a fellow YouTuber, I've been creating more valentines day themed recipes~ This recipe only requires a flat pan and a heart shaped cookie cutter. My heart is unfortunately made out cake box mix. I was pretty stingy about using a whole pound of butter for pound cake. For those of you who don't realize it yet (it's okay, I didn't either until it was told to me) but pound cakes are pound cakes because they use a pound of butter. That's why they're so delicious. The cake box mix version was surprisingly delicious though. I used pound cake because it'll hold up better inside of a cake.
CHOCOCOLATE SWISS ROLL VIDEO
Jelly Roll Pan 15 1/2 inches x 10 1/2 inches
Chocolate Swiss Roll
- 20 grams Cocoa Powder
- 40 grams Hot Water
- 60 grams or 3 Egg Yolks
- 50 grams Granulated Sugar
- 50 grams Vegetable Oil
- 30 grams Milk
- 75 grams Cake Flour
- 120 grams or 3 Egg Whites
- 65 grams Granulated Sugar
- Some oil for spraying pan
- 180 grams Heavy Whipping Cream
- 20 grams Granulated Sugar
- Pound Cake Mix
- Food coloring of choice
- Follow instructions of pound cake mix and dye it pink with food coloring. Cool completely and cut out heart shaped using a cookie cutter. Set aside covered.
- Preheat the oven to 350°F. Line the pan with parchment paper and spray with oil. Mix together 20 grams of cocoa powder with 40 grams of hot water until dissolved. Set this chocolate mixture aside.
- Whisk together egg yolks and sugar until light and pale. Gradually add in the oil and milk. Add in the chocolate mixture. Sift together 75 grams cake flour, add it in and mix until smooth. Set aside this egg yolk mixture.
- In another bowl make a meringue by whipping up 120 grams of egg whites until bubbly, gradually sprinkle in the 20 grams of sugar until stiff peaks.
- Fold in the meringue 1/3 at a time into the egg yolk mixture.
- Pour the batter into the pan, spreading it evenly. Tap the tin to release the air. Bake at 350 F for 12 minutes in the middle rack.
- Remove the cake from the oven and cool completely. Remove from pan and place on parchment paper removing the back of the parchment paper. Spread on whipped cream. Place heart shapes in rows, glueing it together with whipped cream. Using the parchment paper roll up the cake. Wrap the cake up in parchment paper and saran wrap. Chill for three hours or 24 hours.
Recipe was found from: Small Small Baker