Rilakkuma Coffee Swiss Roll
Was in the mood for something coffee flavored this time. My last swiss roll went so well that I wanted more swiss rolls! Swiss rolls are like regular cakes without the extra effort of icing it with buttercream. And its so much more light, and not that heavy. I thought my parents wouldn't want to have anything sugary for breakfast, so I saved these rolls in the fridge to give it to them in the afternoon, but right at 9 am they were already eating it, lol! Which I guess it kind of works since it is coffee cake after all?
Coffee Swiss Roll
- 5 egg whites
- A dash of cream of tartar
- 3/4 cup of granulated sugar
- A pinch of kosher salt
- 5 egg yolks
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 1 1/2 tablespoon instant coffee granules dissolved in a tablespoon of hot water
- 1/4 cup heavy cream
- 3/4 cup cake flour + 1/2 tsp cake flour
- 1 tablespoon cocoa powder
- Black food dye
Whipped Cream Filling
- 3/4 cup heavy cream
- 2 tablespoon granulated sugar or powdered sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Preheat the oven to 375F. Line a 9 x 13 pans with parchment paper. Add 5 egg whites into the mixer bowl with a whisk attachment, mix on a speed level of 4 till foamy, and then add a dash of cream of tartar. Gradually add in half of the sugar and beat until it becomes stiff peaks.
- In another large bowl whisk together 5 egg yolks with the remaining sugar until light and pale yellow. Set aside one teaspoon of egg yolk batter and place it into another small bowl (decoration for snout) Add the vanilla, and coffee mix, and heavy cream into large egg yolk bowl until incorporated. Sift and fold in 3/4 cup cake flour into the egg yolk mix
- For white snout: In the small bowl with 1 teaspoon egg yolk batter add 1/2 teaspoon of cake flour, and fold in the 3 tablespoon of the meringue.
- For eyes and mouth: In a small bowl add 3 tablespoon of egg yolk mixture, 6 tablespoon of meringue, 1 tablespoon of cocoa powder, and fold together.
- Pipe on the dark mixture for eyes and mouth onto the parchment paper and bake for 1-2 minutes on 375F. Let it cool down and then pipe on white oval snout and bake for 1-2 minutes on 375F *Baking times depends on thickness of designs*
- Fold in the rest of meringue into the egg yolk batter 1/3 at a time very gently. Pour over decorations and bake at 375 F 10 minutes or until a toothpick inserted comes out clean.
- Flip cake over and remove parchment paper very gently. Let it cool. Have the design of the cake facing down onto parchment paper. Make whipped cream by whipping up 3/4 cup heavy cream, 2 tablespoons granulated sugar, and 1 teaspoon vanilla extract until stiff. Spread whipped cream onto cake, and leaving the two opposite ends of the cake inch free of cream. Using the parchment paper from the bottom of the cake, use it to tightly roll up the swiss roll. Cover with saran wrap and refrigerate for at least 1 hour or overnight.
|Whipped Cream Filling Ingredients, 3 basic ingredients, cold heavy cream, sugar, and vanilla.|