Chicken Katsu Recipe



Personally I don't like deep frying food, mostly because its terrifying, but to get that beautiful perfect texture and taste, I think its totally worth it to get over that fear. This is a simple and quick dish great for lunch or dinner. As long as you follow my very simple recipe, you should be able to make this Chicken Katsu perfectly!

Chicken Katsu Recipe
Ingredients

  • 3 Pounds Boneless Skinless Chicken Breast
  • 3 Tablespoons All Purpose Flour
  • 1 Egg
  • 1 Cup Panko Bread Crumbs
  • Salt and Pepper to taste
  • Oil for frying
  • Cabbage (For side dish)
  • Rice (For side dish)

Directions
  1. (Prep) The first mistake in frying I used to make was using frozen meat or meat that hasn't been defrosted. Any wetness can cause splattering while frying. so its good to prep the meat well beforehand, defrosting in the microwave if needed, and patting dry with a paper towel.
  2. Diagonally slice the chicken to get 3 thin pieces, or slice it in half.
  3. Place the chicken into a large Ziploc bag and using a pot slightly push it into the chicken to flatten to at least a half inch thickness
  4. Season the chicken on both sides with salt and pepper to taste
  5. Dip the chicken in flour, making sure I cover it all over and tapping out any excess.
  6. Add it into the egg, making sure its covering the entire chicken so my breading later can adhere to it well
  7. Well bread the chicken into the Panko breadcrumbs, pushing and layering the Panko into the chicken.
  8. Heat up small pot of oil filled 3/4 of the way to 350°F, using a thermometer to test the temperature.
  9. Fry each piece 3-4 minutes at a time or until internal temperature has reached 3-4 minutes. 
  10. I also saw a chef on YouTube test the doneness by inserting a toothpick and bringing it to his upper lip to feel if there was heat, and when there was heat on the toothpick it meant the Katsu was done.
STEP BY STEP VIDEO TUTORIAL


STEP BY STEP PHOTO TUTORIAL
1.) I want slightly thinner slices of chicken so cut them diagonally, in one chicken breast I can get 3 slices out of it, and this depends on the size of your chicken breast. You can also just slice it in half if that's easier for you, but slicing diagonally isn't anything too crazy. Thin slices helps it cook faster while frying




2.) I don't have a meat hammer so we're going to use this really strange method where you place the chicken into a large ziploc bag and using a pot slightly push it into the chicken to flatten to at least a half inch thickness

3.) Season the chicken on both sides with salt and pepper to taste

4.) Dip the chicken in flour, making sure I cover it all over and tapping out any excess.

5.) Add it into the egg, making sure its covering the entire chicken so my breading later can adhere to it well. Thoroughly drown this into the Panko bread crumbs, just imagine yourself burying this chicken alive with Panko and you don't want anyone else to find it, and just pack that Panko on top right into it. I always wondered why my chicken breading looks under breaded, and it was because  I wasn't adding enough breading
6.) Once I'm done breading all of my chicken, I get ready to fry it.

7.) I'm using a small pot so I don't have to waste too much oil, and it feels less intimidating to use a small pot. It's important to have lots of oil to fry, but don't worry you can reuse the oil after straining it on other cooking projects. This may be overkill but I'm using a thermometer to heat this to 350°F and to make sure I always stay around that temperature.You must lower the temperature or increase the temperature and try to stay around 350°F and you can always add more oil to quickly decrease the temperature. I use the thermometer like 80% of the time while cooking or baking and its a good investment. and I don't think i can stare at oil and know the temperature by just looking so I use this thermometer.

8.) Cook this for 3-4 minutes, when its a nice golden color, and the internal temperature reaches 165°F. I also saw a chef on YouTube test the doneness by inserting a toothpick and bringing it to his upper lip to feel if there was heat, and when there was heat on the toothpick it meant the Katsu was done.

9.) You can serve your Katsu whole, but I think its a lot cuter and easier to eat when its cut into slices.
  

10.) Slice up some cabbage to serve underneath your chickens and some shredded carrots

I also made some yummy hot rice on the side



Comments

Popular Posts