Roses In A Basket Cake
Hello everyone! For my cousin's graduation, I surprised her with this beautiful Basket Rose Cake!~ The basket pattern surprisingly didn't take up as much frosting as I expected it to. (Which is a big plus when it comes to cake decorating) I kind of expected the basket to make it look..old. But it was SO beautiful and the basket pattern and the roses really complimented each other. I really loved the colors of this cake, soft pink, pale yellow, white, with a splash of lavender/purple? I piped some reverse shells onto the top of the cake, and added some leaves to make them more.. well like flowers. These made great selfie pics between my family by the way. It was a good time.
Roses In A Basket Video Tutorial:
Yellow Cake(Makes 4 8-inch Cakes)
- 1 lb 4 oz (567 g) Cake Flour
- 1 1/2 lb (24 oz or 680g) Granulated Sugar
- 3/4 oz (21 g) Baking Powder
- 3/4 tsp (3.5 g) Salt
- 12 oz (340 g) Unsalted Butter (Cut into pieces or softened)
- 6 oz (177 ml or 170 g) Whole Milk
- 15 oz (444 ml or 425 g) Whole eggs
- 12 oz (355 ml or 340 g) Buttermilk
- 1/2 oz (15 ml or 14 g) Vanilla Extract
- Preheat the oven to 325 F/163 C Line your 8 inch cake pans with parchment paper. Cutting a circle to place on the bottom of the pans, and strips of paper around the pan.
- Combine the flour, sugar, baking powder, salt in a mixer bowl, mix with a paddle attachment on low for 3 minutes
- Add butter, mix on low for 2 minutes. Then mix on high for 3 minutes
- Turn speed to low, add milk, mix for two minutes, then high 1 minute.
- In another bowl combine eggs, buttermilk, vanilla.
- On low speed add buttermilk mixture in 4 stages, then mixer on high for one minute
- Bake until when a tooth pick is inserted into the center and comes out clean. *Approximately 45-50 minutes for 8 inch pans.
Buttercream Frosting (I recommend making a double batch or 1 1/2 of the recipe to make sure you have enough frosting)
- 1 cup butter
- 2 pound powdered sugar
- 1 tbsp vanilla
- 4+ tbsp of milk
- dash of salt
- Mix together softened butter, vanilla, salt in the mixer. Add in the powdered sugar one cup at a time, or gradually pour it in. Add in 4 tablespoon of milk and continue mixing. Add more milk of this is too stiff (Mine was, so I added a 1-3 tbsp more).
- Strawberry Jam
Frosting tip numbers
- To cover cake, pipe reverse shells: #18 star
- Leaf: #352 leaf
- Roses #103/104 petal
- Basket weave: #46/48
Tools: 8 inch baking pans, piping bags, piping tips, nail to hold frosting flower, flower frosting scissors to pick up flowers, parchment paper, kitchen aid mixer, rotating cake decorating stand.