Korokke コロッケ Recipe (Fried Potatoes and Beef)
Korokke Video Tutorial
Korokke Recipe (コロッケ) Fried Potatoes and Beef
Makes: 20 balls
- 4-5 (1 pound 7 ounces) potatoes (Russet Potatoes)
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 chopped onion
- 1 carrot (chopped)
- 1.5 lb ground beef
- Salt and paper for seasoning (to taste)
- 1/2 cup all purpose flour
- 2 cups Panko Breadcrumbs
- 1 beaten egg
- Oil for deep frying
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground white pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
- Peel and cut the 5 potatoes into even cubes. Uneven cubes=uneven cooking. Boil the potato until they're soft, a chopstick will easily go through it when you poke it. This will take 20-30 minutes. Remove the potatoes from heat, drain, and return to the heat and dry them out for 14 seconds. Take it off the heat again and mash.
- On medium heat melt the 2 tbsp butter in a frying pan and sauté the 1 chopped onion for 3 minutes, add the chopped carrot and cook until the vegetables soften. Add the 1.5 lb of ground beef and cook for 3-4 minutes more. Season with 1 tsp kosher salt, 1/4 tsp ground black pepper, and 1/4 tsp ground white pepper
- Mix together the potatoes with meat. Using and ice cream scoop, scoop up the potato balls and shape the potato into a flat oval ball with your hands. This recipe makes 20 balls of potatoes, depending on the size you make them.
- Have a 3 shallow dishes of 1/2 cup all purpose flour, 1 beaten egg, and 2 cups of Panko bread crumbs. Coat the potato ball in flour, then dip into the whisked egg, and cover in Panko bread crumbs
- Heat a deep fryer oil to 350°F and cook each for 2 minutes. Remove and drain on a paper towel. Serve with ketchup, bbq sauce or *Tonkatsu sauce. You can also have side of veggies, like shredded cabbage.