Soft Milk Bread Using TangZhong Starter (REMAKE)
Hey guys! Doing a little remake of the bread I made three years ago. This bread dough is super versatile and to show you that I'm making a double batch of this dough and making a bread loaf and hot dog buns with this. This is my most FAVORITE bread recipe, it's super soft and fluffy for days, and it can be made in a day with a quick starter. I can't get enough of this bread and I've kept this recipe for three years now. Enjoy!
Bake at 350F
Yield: 2 loaves of bread or 1 loaf of bread and 8 hot dog buns
TangZhong Starter (Water Roux):
- 1/3 cup flour
- 1 cup water
Japanese Milk Bread
- 2 eggs
- 1 cup milk
- 6 tablespoon unsalted butter
- 5 cup flour
- 2 tablespoons of yeast or 2 packet active dry yeast
- 8 tablespoons granulated sugar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup TangZhong Starter
Hot Dog Buns: 8 Hot Dogs
Egg Wash: 1 egg, 1 tablespoon water
Brushing: 1-2 tablespoon melted butter
For Bread Pan: Some oil for spraying, flour for dusting
Milk Bread Dough:
- Make the water roux: In a small pan mix together 1/3 cup flour and 1 cup of water, stir with a whisk until lines appear. Remove from heat and cool completely.
- In a mixer, whisk together 2 eggs, 1 cup milk, 6 tablespoons butter, 1 cup of the TangZhong starter.
- In another clean bowl with a clean whisk mix together the dry ingredients, 5 cup flour, 2 tablespoon of yeast, 8 tablespoons granulated sugar, 1 teaspoon of the salt. Whisk together until combined.
- Add the dry ingredients into the wet ingredients, change the mixer attachment from whisk to the dough hook. Mix for 8-15 minutes until smooth and elastic. Add more water if the dough is not coming together and isn't coming off the sides. To test if its done use the window pane test. Shape into a ball and place into a clean bowl and cover the bowl with saran wrap. Leave in a warm place and let it double in size 1-3 hours. (I did 6 hours on accident, but I think I prefer leaving it for that long)
Divide the dough in half and use one half for the bread loaf and the other half for hot dog buns.
To shape into bread loaf:
- Spray a bread pan with oil and dust with some flour.
- Take one of the halves of the bread dough and divide into 4 pieces. Shape each piece into a round ball. Roll a ball into an oval, and make it hug but overlapping each end. Roll flat into a rectangle. Then roll the dough up into a log. Place into the bread tin seam side down. Cover and let it rise until dough or one hour.
- Cook for 30 minutes in a preheated oven of 350F for 30 minutes. Cover with foil once it reaches the desired golden color and continue cooking for the remaining time.
To shape into hot dog buns
- Cover a half sheet pan with parchment paper or silpat mat.
- Take one of the halves of the bread dough and divide 8 pieces. Shape each piece into a round ball. Roll the ball into a line leaving a small bump into the center. Wrap a hot dog up with the dough. Place in half sheet pan. Let it double in size for 10-15 minutes covered in saran wrap. Brush with egg wash (1 egg and 1 tbsp of water whisk together)
- Bake at 350F until golden. Brush on 1-2 tbsp melted butter once out of the oven.
Step by step pics, and recipe found from:
Social Media Sites
MILK BREAD VIDEO TUTORIAL:
STEP BY STEP PHOTOS: