Mini Fruit Tarts
I LOVE fruit tarts. They're light, healthy, colorful, this would be a hit at any party. Decorating this is so much fun and you can get really creative with your fruits. I tried to do as many variations to it as I can. It's like the kind of the dessert, when you eat it you just feel healthier, and lighter after eating it. This pastry cream has just the right amount of sweetness too it, and is very light. I think this may be one of my most favorite pastry cream recipe. It doesn't make a ridiculous amount of pastry cream, that you'll have too much leftover, but it'll have just enough for your tarts. My family ALWAYS request this dessert for birthdays and holidays. Summer is approaching, and I'm look forward to all the fruits that will be in season for desserts~
Mini Fruit Tarts Video Tutorial
Fruit Tart Recipe
- 1 1/2 cups of milk
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon of salt
- 1/4 cup flour
- 4 egg yolks
- 11/2 teaspoon vanilla
- Heat the milk in a pot until its warm, or when you see some steam, but do not boil
- In a separate bowl, combine the 1/2 cup of sugar, 1/4 teaspoon salt and 1/4 cup of flour together.
- Add in the yolks and mix together
- In a steady stream pour milk into the yolks whisking the entire time.
- Return everything back into the pot and mix until it thickens or until you see large bubbles.
- Add the vanilla, strain, cover with saran wrap making the saran wrap touch the cream so it doesn't form a skin. Refrigerate.
Note: Splenda could be used too, but cream won't be as shiny and will be grainy
Sweet Dough Crust
- 2 1/2 cups all purpose flour
- 3 tablespoons of sugar
- 1 cup or two sticks of butter
- 2 egg yolks
- 1/4 cup + 2 tbsp of cold water
- The leftover whites off the yolks used earlier for brushing.
- In a food processor combine flour and sugar. then add in diced butter, blend
- Add 2 egg yolks, blend
- Add in some or all of the water until it comes together.
- Flatten on saran wrap and wrap it up and refrigerate until firm.
Assembling The Tarts
- In cool tart crust, add pastry cream a little over half way. Make sure to not add too much adding fruits over it can make pastry cream overflow
- Top with fruits, use examples from my photos or research on google on how you want to decorate the fruits
- Optional: Dust with powdered sugar. Or make an shiny apricot glaze by taking some apricot jam and water and melting it down in a sauce pan, then brushing it over the fruits.