Sweet Sticky Coconut Rice With Mangos And A Possible Collaboration With My Mother


Sticky Rice and Mango

We're doing something a little different today, let's talk about my mother. My mom is a pretty talented cook, I know I'm a bit biased. But I've always felt that eating out at Cambodian and Thai places, their cooking always have tasted mediocre compared to my mom's cooking. Even when I've tasted other Cambodian dishes from family, friends, and at temples, everything tasted like a 5. She knows many many Cambodian dishes, so we're thinking about a COLLABORATION of some sort together. Where she does all the work and I just throw everything she knows on the internet for everyone. I know my videos are normally baking videos, but I'd love to share with everyone Cambodia's culture and foods stuffs. My mother insisted that she wanted to share this recipe with everyone. She makes this dessert dish  pretty regularly, almost every 2 weeks. She even starred in one of my YouTube videos this time to show everyone how to make sticky rice.


Recipe for Sticky Rice and Mangos

Ingredients

  • 3 1/2 cups Sanpatong Three Ladies Brand Sweet Rice (Or any other brand)
  • 1/4 cup Mung Bean Sunlee Brand 1/4 cup
  • 13.5  oz (1 can) Chef's Choice Coconut Milk
  • 1/2 cup of C&H Pure Cane sugar
  • 1 1/2 teaspoon Morton salt
  • Mangifera indica Mangos (the Asian ones)


Note: My mom would like to mention that the salt and sugar amount is to taste, if you prefer a sweeter or less salt, adjust accordingly. She normally uses different kinds of brands, but I only put the names up incase anyone wanted a specific brand up.

Mangifera indica Mangos









Video Tutorial



Step By Step Photo Tutorial 


1. Place a large bowl that can strain out water but can still hold in the rice over another large bowl, fill with water and 3 1/2 cups of sweet rice and clean it 3 times.


2. Take the 1/4 cups of mung beans and toast it over a pan until its golden, but not dark, this should take less than 30 seconds.


3. Add the cooked mung beans into your rice


4. Rinse three times, and fill with water and let it soak for 1 hour




5. Boil 12 cups of water in your steamer (but this may depend on the size of your steamer, mine is REALLY BIG)


6. In a pot add your 1 can, 13.5 oz of coconut milk, 1 1/2 tsp salt, 1/2 cup of sugar, stir and heat until it boils.


7. Drain rice and beans that have been soaking for 1 hour, and add into your coconut milk.


8. Gently fold the rice as this heats. Heat this until all the liquids can no longer be seen.





9. Add a basket used normally for steamers in.


10. Wet a cheesecloth and squeeze out the water and place it over the steamer.


11. Add in your rice, spreading it evenly.

12. Cover the rice with the cheesecloth


13. Steam for 30 minutes plus until it looks cooked like regular rice.


14. Finished! Serve with slices of mangos.

Comments

Popular Posts