Baked BBQ Pork Bun Recipe Part 2
Char Siao Bao Baked Pork Bun Recipe (Makes 6) Baked at 420F
I made pork buns second day in a row~ Best week ever. This time a tried a new Pork bun recipe from Christine's Recipe. The buns were beautiful brown and glossy color. The crust was tender and perfect. Overall texture of the buns was perfect A+ I don't know if my bread making skills is improving, or if its the recipe, but these were probably the best buns I've ever tasted. If it is from improvement of skills, I hope there will be more of this to come. The only part of this recipe I didn't really agree with is probably the filling. It wasn't bad but it just didn't taste as good as the filling I made in my other recipe. What I would have done differently would maybe have kept the same dough recipe, techniques, brushing the dough with egg yolk, and the sugar water, but would have used the filling from the other recipe.
Ingredients for the dough:
2 tbsp sugar
1/2 cup hot water
1/3 cup milk
2 tsp oil
2 1/4 tsp yeast
2 cup flour
Directions for making the dough:
1. Mix together 2 tbsp sugar and 1/2 cup of hot water in a bowl until the sugar is dissolved and no longer visible.
2. Add in the 1/3 cup of milk and 2 tsp of oil. Let it cool down till it's warm to touch.
3. Add 2 1/4 tsp of yeast, mix until dissolved and no longer visible. Cover with a damp towel for 10 minutes.
4. Add all of the 2 cups of flour and mix. Dust the table with flour and knead dough for 8 minutes. Adding more flour little by little if its too sticky. (I added about 1/3 cup more while kneading)
5. Place in a bowl, cover and let it rise for 25 minutes.
6. Push down the dough to deflate all the gas.
Ingredients for the pork filling:
1 tsp soy sauce
1 tbsp oyster sauce
2 tsp sugar
2 tsp corn starch
2 tbsp oil
1/2 lb pork (shoulder)
1/2 diced onions
Directions for making the pork filling:
1. Combine 1 tsp soy sauce, 1 tbsp oyster sauce, 2 tsp sugar, and 2 tsp corn starch in a bowl, set aside.
2. Heat up pan to medium heat, add 2 tbp of oil, cook 1/2 onion until it is translucent (see through), add in 1/2 pound of diced pork, and cook until no longer pink.
3. Add in the sauce mixture we set aside earlier, and continue cooking until the sauce becomes thick.
4. Add in thinly sliced shallots in the end, cook for 20 more seconds
Forming the buns and adding filling:
1. Divide the dough into six pieces. Go back and roll each piece into a ball. (Keep in mind if its difficult to roll out a piece give the dough time relax so it'll be easier to work with.
2. Lightly dust the table, flatten the the ball with your hand, and then go over it with a rolling pin, rolling out a circle, the size should be roughly around 5 inches.
3. Lay the the circle in your hand slightly cupping the center, Add a ice cream scoop full of filling into the center.
4. Using three fingers pinch the edges of the circle all around. Gather all of your pinched edges, and twist it. Be sure to seal everything so liquids don't leak out.
5. Place bun seam side down on a baking sheet lined with parchment paper.
Baking time and instructions
& Ingredients needed to give the bun its color:
1 egg yolk
2 tsp water
1 tsp sugar
1. Bake in a oven preheated to 420 F for 15 minutes. Brush the tops with egg yolk and bake for 5 more minutes.
2. While the buns are still hot, mix together 2 tsp of water and 1 tsp of sugar, and brush it onto hot buns.