Flower Hot Dog Buns~




First bloggy entry! Hopefully I'll keep this active. My first post will be.. Flower Hot Dog Buns~

Bread Dough:
Recipe from http://angiesrecipes.blogspot.com/2010/06/twisted-wienerwurst-buns.html

300 g Bread flour
6 g Instant dried yeast
30 g Sugar
6 g Salt
60 g Egg
65 g Warm milk
75 g Tangzhong Starter - Water Roux Starter via Starch Gelatinization
45 g Butter
1 Package of Hot Dogs

Tangzhong:

http://angiesrecipes.blogspot.com/2007/10/bread-with-tangzhong-starter.html
 

50 g flour
250 ml water

Toppings:
   
60-80 g Spring onions, chopped   
1 Egg   
1 tbsp Olive oil   
1 tsp Black pepper powder
1/2 tsp Salt
 Half an Onion Chopped


Video:






Perfect and Nommy


I guess I'll break it down to photos, videos, step by step :D More photos and more photos.. Photos if you can't be bothered to watch my video. A video if you can't be bothered to read my blog.
Mix Flour, Yeast, Salt, Sugar for one minute using a dough hook.

This is how a dough hook looks. Like a pirate's hook. Arr? Please ignore that disgusting stain on my wall.

Make TangZhong starter, I don't know what happened to  the clip of me making this in the video, but you take 50 g of flour, 250 ml of water, add it into a pan, mixing continuously for 2-3 minutes, or until lines appear on you pan from the thickening of the Tangzhong.


Add in eggs, warm milk (I just microwaved regular milk and heated it in the microwave until it was, well, warm to the touch), 75 of that magical tangzhong you've just stirred. Mix this all up in your mixer for 3 minutes.

Add in your butter, continue mixing until its been five minutes. Roll your dough out into a ball, placing it in a greased bowl, cover and let it double in size for one hour~


Scale/weigh 60-62 grams each. Then shape them into 9 balls. There's actually a technique in shaping them into balls. That I really don't know how to explain :D But its something you have to practice and you can get them to look perfectly. I'm not sure if I'm doing it the way I was taught in school, but it looks gewd so I'm OK with it. Basically for this dough type, since it's somewhat stickier than other dough types because of the TangZhong, I divide everything up first. Then I try to make them look like balls, letting the balls all rest before I go back to them. Then the third time around I shape them in a way I'm sorta 1/4 flattening it with my hand 1/2 making it round.. Err its a balance with flattening, rounding it and using different parts of your palm and applying different amounts of pressure. Please ignore this paragraph.*** TLDR: Don't read this paragraph.

Let it rest for 10 minutes. Resting helps make it easier to work with. When you're working with bread dough its good to give it a time out before beating the.. :D Ignore the red marks on my plastic stuff, I wrote a cute message on it to myself because nobody loves me.

Step 1: Ball

Step 2: Make a rectangle, I used a rolling pin
Wrap and pinch. I like to call it mummifying it. Idk I'm weird.


Cut into 5 parts. But don't completely cut through the dough, Because you need everything still together to twist! Cutting the hot dog completely is a yes though. Overlap 1st and last cuts. Twist/Flip the other hot dogs over until its slightly resembles what you see above. The video I made to demonstrate this is almost as horrible and vague as what I just said. Don't worry. You'll figure it out. And I don't mean that sarcastically either. When I read the other sites that had tutorials about how to make this, I was just like.. what am I reading, twist joints, and do flips? You just gotta do it yourself and it'll work out

Add your toppings~ And bake at 350 F for 15 minutes, or until it looks fluffy and yummy, ready to eat, and goldeny. Your sausages would probably sizzle and fiz in a sexy hot dog kinda a way to let you know its done. Well, that was my interpretation of it when I was trying to determine whether it was done or not.

Enjoy! Makes 9. But I think the hot dog packages I got only came in like 8. Make sure yours has like 9 at least!




Comments

Popular Posts